Monday, November 19, 2012

Fungi with my Fun Guys.....aha...

I thought I was jaded indoors, claustrophobic and impatient lounging around for six eternities and 15 minutes in a semester with nothing but four walls, one table and a seat, but going outside, on the peaceful forest floor, trampling over damp leaves and gravel looking for mushrooms, it turned out I was just ungrateful. Like a Kanye West release or an Eskimo, it was way too cold and I think I became sick. However at the time, it was really enjoyable enough trying to look for fungi. More than that, it was important to see fungi in their natural environments, existing outside the textbook.
The Fungi were often pale, always strange. Basidiomycota abounded, Oomycota M.I.A. I'm not sure I saw any common moulds but there were definitely lichen sticking modest on the trees and in ancient stumps, some of the largest mushrooms sprouted in the shade like products left over on wooden shelves. I saw a sac fungi the shape of an ear and the colour of a peach that still managed to look like a flower because of a fleshy dot in the centre of it. Other lichen ran across deadwood like rashes. I didn't see any brightly coloured fungi, I think I saw yellow symbiotic lichen and maybe an orange mushroom, but nothing as red as a strawberry or stranger than fiction. Like the time we clipped flowers when Ms. Morin was still here, this trip was similar in fascination, less romantic and less guilty. In the thorny bracken and threshing branches, I'm sure the best fungi could've been found, but I lifted one leg over one log and that's victory enough, carpe diem, yolo and stuff great class, lots of fun, great game! How did people find mushrooms so easily? Maybe I don't want to find out, maybe.
Overlooking all these photos, I'm reminded about how I used to always be inside this park on trails and stealth games, but never noticed all these different fungi hidden even better in the leaves than me--nature's parasols and oddities.

------ * ------- * ------ * ------ * --------* -----------*

Zygomycota-Damp and green growing off a tree /sporangium


Club Fungi Mushrooms Growing On a Branch

I Hope There Are Lichens in this Growth, those are my clothes

Even More Club Fungi

Perhaps this is a sac fungi because it has a sponginess characteric

Sac Fungi Growth, Strange 'Cause There's a Layer That All the Bumps Grow On

Little Brown Mushrooms, Club fungi

This is totally a club fungi I hope, Looks like a flower, a leftover poppy from rememberance's day 
More of the club fungi above in a bigger growth without that one spot








































































































































































This photo is Shaineel's but the wonderful labelling is completely done by myself








No comments:

Post a Comment